There are so many writers out there who share my love of etiquette. One of my favorites is Mannersmith. Jodi has a fabulous list for become more polite in the new year, and I thought I would share her tips in a few separate posts. We will cover:
1. RSVP to invitations ASAP ~ Make it your stated goal to respond to invitations within 24 hours of receipt. Be honest, as you likely know already if you will be able to attend or not. Just tell the host.
2. Reciprocate a Kindness ~ Did someone take you out to dinner, give you an unexpected gift or do you a favor? If so, return the thought. It need not be exactly the same, as long as it is from the heart.
3. Acknowledge Immediately ~ Remember to write thank you notes within a week. After all, the sooner the shorter, the later the longer. If you are having a hard time getting started, visit the Mannersmith Thank You Note Wizard for some help.
4. Use or Lose ~ Pick three friends (or your grandchildren!) and schedule a dinner at a restaurant where you will need to use your table manners. You know, a venue with tablecloths and real utensils! Enjoy a life of leisure, even if it is only for an hour or two.
5. Master Your Mobile ~ Try turning off your phone and tuning in to life. Give the gift of your full attention to those with whom you are interacting. Yes, you may have some withdrawal symptoms, such as twitchy thumbs, but the emotional benefits are well worth it.